Latest Club News

Guildford lift NatWest U15 Club Championship

Posted by:

Guildford dominated the finals of the NatWest Under-15 National Club Championship at Oundle School, Northamptonshire, on Monday.

Lead by captain Harry Wilkinson, they beat North Region Champions York in the last four before going on to overcome Dorset’s Parley in the final.

In the first of the morning semis, Guildford chose to bowl first against York in windy but thankfully dry conditions after the tail-end of hurricane Bertha soaked the pitches 24 hours earlier.

Ben Shaw took two early wickets but York captain Ted Patmore kept the scoreboard ticking over with a patient 35.

Unfortunately he struggled to find partners who stuck around long and only one more York batsman, Will Andrews, reached double figures.

Shaw finished with 3-18 from his four overs while George Griffith took 2-11 as York, once Patmore was dismissed, could only reach 96-9 from their 20 overs.

In reply, Guildford attacked from the start. Haydir Ali was caught and bowled by Patmore but William Jacks, fresh from helping his London and East team win at the Bunbury Festival, hit an impressive unbeaten 50.

Once Jacks had to retire at the milestone, Max James and Nathan Tilley, with 15 and 19 not out respectively, eased Guildford to victory by seven wickets and with 6.3 overs remaining.

In the other semi-final, Parley chose to bowl first against Bedfordshire side Southill Park .

Like York, Southill Park found batting difficult and only Bhavik Talsania, with 34, put the Parley bowlers in any difficulty.

Talsania eventually fell to Ollie Shrubsole, one of his five wickets in the innings as he finished with an impressive 5-8 from 3.5 overs. Shrubsole cleaned up the Southill Park tail and they were dismissed for 70 from 18.5 overs.

The Parley innings started slowly thanks to some tight bowling by Oliver Thrasher but after Harrison Clarke was caught off Thrasher, Owen Morris came to the crease and displayed some impressive hitting.

Morris was finally caught and bowled by Oliver Hind for 38 but this only brought Shrubsole to the crease and he finished the job to guide his team into the final by eight wickets.

The showpiece saw Guildford again win the toss and put Parley into bat. Shaw was impressive with the ball as he dismissed three of the top-four batsmen, including the impressive Shrubsole, while Ali had key batsman Morris caught for 12.

The Surrey side bowled impressively throughout with Shaw claiming 3-19 and Ali and Griffiths, who took two apiece, all shining in a performance that saw Parley all out for 77 in the final over.

Jacks again showed his batting pedigree as he hit 36 before being out LBW to Tom Barber but it was James and Tilley that saw Guildford home to take the title by seven wickets with more than eight overs remaining and receive the trophy from Sussex all-rounder Luke Wright.

Full scorecards can be found at